Did you know that marketing and design go hand in hand? While initially the two may seem unrelated, a good brand identity serves as the foundation for how consumers perceive and interact with your business. But what exactly is a brand identity, and why is it so important to growing your business? To find out, read on.
What Is Brand Identity?
Ben Matthews, director of design at Adobe Spark, describes brand identity as the following: “If brands are people, then visual identity is the walk, the talk, the clothes, and the hair.” Essentially, it is the look and feel of your company.
Your company’s brand identity typically includes the following:
- Logo – A symbol used to identify your business, and typically what first comes to mind when people think of your business
- Imagery – Photos, illustrations, or any other visual imagery used throughout your design
- Typography – The typefaces, or fonts, used wherever there is written content in your design
- Colors – A group of colors (typically 2-5, but more may be added if desired) used throughout your design and branding
- Additional design elements – Patterns, icons, and any other elements used to support your brand’s design system
So Why Is Brand Identity Important?
1. First Impressions Are Everything
Much like how we interact with people, visual identity is one of the first things we consider when developing a first impression of a business. The objective is to convey the purpose, goals, and personality of your business, and a solid brand identity is the easiest way to do this.
2. Standing Out From the Crowd
Apollo Technical writes, “Brand identity plays a significant role in differentiating your business from the rest of the competition in the market.” In a highly competitive market, having a memorable look and feel that will stand out in the eyes of consumers is essential to distinguishing your company from the rest.
3. Consistency Is Key
Having a consistent “look” to your brand and marketing materials allows consumers to readily identify you and creates a lasting impression. Additionally, a consistent brand identity relays a sense of professionalism and trustworthiness that will resonate with potential customers.
Curious as to how you can make the most of your brand identity, or looking to build one from the ground up? Points Group creative design services are here to help. Contact us today to get started!